This Certificate Program is offered by the Centre for Advanced Wood Processing and provides participants with a broad understanding of the field of wood finishing. It is designed for individuals employed in the wood products industry who have some general experience in manufacturing (and possibly finishing) and would like to expand their knowledge and understanding of wood finishing.
The program will cover key questions such as:
- How do wood properties affect finishing?
- What are the best types of coatings, application equipment and curing methods for the wood products I make?
- How do I test and monitor the quality of wood finishes?
- What environmental regulations and trends affect my manufacturing business?
- How can I create a green product without compromising on quality or price?
Understanding that it can be difficult for technical staff and managers to take time away from a production environment to attend training, the program is structured in two distinct parts;
- Part 1: learn all of the theory online through our e-learning website. Requires approximately one hour per day for 12 weeks. Study at home or at work, whatever fits your schedule. Get ongoing phone and email support from an online tutor, and interact with other trainees via online discussions.
- Part 2: come to a 6-day practical session, normally in Vancouver or at an alternate facility (depending on where most participants are located). Includes hands-on practice, demonstrations from industry experts, plant tours.
Kwakiutl Wagalus School Multi-Purpose Room | Photo credit: Lubor Trubka Associates Architects